Wednesday, January 5, 2011

January the time for building blocks for our food storage.

With the beginning of the New Year I have been trying hard to come up with a plan for our food storage.  In my research I have decided that I would take each month and give it a theme.  January is building blocks for our food storage.  So for the rest of this month I will post things that I feel will help us to build block after block for all of our food storage.  I am hoping that with assigning each month a theme it will make me feel more organized and also assist you in your planning and preparation of your food storage!  I am going to try to give you a building block step for each week to help you thru the year with your storage so that it isn't so overwhelming. 

Week 1 -NUTS - drug stores have a ton of after Christmas sales, try to get 2lbs per person.  The roasted ones store the best.  Try to find the freeze baged ones! 

I am fast realizing that there is so much more to food storage than just storing food.  Discovering this I am so excited because I feel I am further ahead of the game than I thought I was!  Yay!  For this month I want to kind of lean towards the emergency side of food storage and bring it to the preparation for a disaster.  So that we can be ready to leave our homes at a moments notice and be prepared! 
We have been counseled to have a three day back pack ready to go at a moments notice.  So I want to enlarge on that a bit.  If we were told to leave our homes and have to go into the wilderness I want to be ready, not only for my husband and myself.  But I want to be sure my children and their families are also ready.  It is my hope and prayer that we will all be ready if the need arises. Part of my preparation is to have my items at the ready, be able to pick them up and go.  So I am organizing them and getting them in containers so that they are ready to go at a moments notice.

This is what I will start with:

Water - You can only live up to 5 days without it so we need to be sure and store it. At our house we drink a ton of water.  I try to always have on hand at least 12 extra bottles of water in the car and in our house.  Plus I have them at school so if they are needed we are ready.  Be sure and include treating tablets for your water just in case you need them.  It might be a good idea to storage water inside your home and outside your home.  Just in case, if you can't get back into your home, outside storage is a good plan to include.
Sprouting seeds and supplies - We need to have ready various seeds for vegtables and fruits, plus the materials needed to plant and care for them.  I realize that it will take many months/seasons for the seeds to take root.  In our supplies for the care of the seeds we could include containers so that if the seeds needed to be moved we would be able to take them with us.  Be sure you know how to grow these seeds and what climate they grow best in before you purchase them.  Be sure and have some radish seeds, they grow fast and are full of water!



Medical care needs/medications and first aid kit - I have at this time 2 months complete supply of medicine for my sweet husband.  He can not live with out some of the medicines he is on so this is very very important for me to have this on hand and ready.  I also have aspirn, and different cough drops, natural ways of healing.  Plus a book on home remedies to help with injuries and illness that are not planned.  I have tried several of the home remedies to make sure I know how to prepare them and that they will work.  We have an awesome first aid kit that we purchased.  Inside that kit it also has ways of natural healing which is so helpful.
Basic supplements/vitamins/minerals/herbal supplements - Supplements that could help to maintain an adequate diet while eating from your food storage. Items to will help support the body during stressful times.  There are many herbal non caffine teas that provide vitamins and supplements for your health and for healing.
Fuels/energy/camping equipment - Tent, bedding, cooking stove, propane.  This got me so excited because our family goes once a year in the summer on a hugh camping trip!  So we are all set with our camping items.  We also have an emergency radio and lights that work off of solar light or batteries.  Be sure and include eating utensils, napkins, plates items that you will need to support your family during this time.  Remember those matches and candles.  Put them in a water proof container.   
Personal/family and pet care items - Clothing, body care items, personal care items for special needs. Paper products needed for the family.  Baby needs, diapers, wet ones, etc..  Food care items and supplies for your pets.  Don't forget those laundry soaps and products that can be used to clean your clothes with out a washer and dry. Thin rope and clothes pins for hanging your clothes out to dry!  Sunscreen so important!  Make sure it's still in date and not expired.  Tooth paste, dental floss, think about what your family uses - that is what you need to store.  Be sure and include a sewing kit, you just never know when you will need a needle and thread. 

No comments:

Post a Comment